Wednesday 24 October 2012

Chalk Paint and Antiquing

Here is a more detailed look at how I painted my small table with chalk paint and how I antiqued it. I apologize that it's kind of long and wordy but I didn't want to leave anything out.
 
Here are a couple of pictures of how the table looked before I painted it.
 

I started with one coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old Ochre. One coat covered pretty well but there were a few spots where the wood showed through a little. Once the fist coat was dry, I added a second coat only in these spots. Here are a couple of pictures of the table after the chalk paint and one coat of Annie Sloan's Soft Wax.


 I let the wax dry overnight and then I started distressing the table. I just used sand paper to rough up the edges of the table in places that I imagined it would naturally wear. Here are a couple of pictures of that.


I wanted to antique the piece a little bit more so I decided to make it darker by brushing on a combination of dark walnut stain and glaze.  The picture below shows the tools I used to antique.


I used sand paper to rough up the edges. Next I mixed 1/4 stain with 3/4 glaze in a plastic cup using a straw. The stain acts to darken the piece and adding the glaze makes the stain take longer to dry so that I can play around with it a bit. I used a paint brush to brush on the stain/glaze and then a piece of towel to wipe some of it off until I had the darkness that I was looking for.
 
Here are a couple of pictures of the table after antiquing.
 

The following picture compares the table before (just chalk paint) and after antiquing.

No comments:

Post a Comment