Monday 17 September 2012

Vintage Give Thanks Sign


Here's the Give Thanks sign I made for my front entryway this fall...


And here's exactly how I made it.
I started with a piece of old wood wall paneling left over from my kitchen renovation. I cut it to the size I wanted and painted one coat of primer all over the wood. When it was dry, I lightly sanded it to make it look older.


I used regular printer paper and printed a mirror image of the words that I wanted on my sign. I just used the "mirror image" option on my printer settings. Here's what it looks like:

Next I decided on the placement of the words and put the paper ink-side down. I used painter's tape to hold it in place. Next I dipped a Q-tip in water and rubbed it along the letters.


When I pulled the paper off, it looked like this:

I thought that it was a little lighter than what I had wanted for this sign so I went over it with some grey paint. This gave it the look that I was going for. It was as easy as that!

6 comments:

  1. What font did you use? Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! The font is called Edwardian Script ITC. I did it in microsoft word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what kind of printer ink jet or toner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an ink jet printer and regular printer paper for this project.

      Delete
  4. I tried this, but I have a laserjet printer and the ink did not transfer...is that why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try printing on wax paper cut into 8.5x11. Ink doesn't penetrate as much. But be careful not to smear the ink while putting it onto the wood!

    ReplyDelete